If you’re an owner or sitter continuing with a sit during this time, it’s important to know that the coronavirus may live on some surfaces for several hours or even days. All members are asked to protect each other from infection by taking a vigilant approach to cleanliness.
We have produced the following guidelines on how to thoroughly clean and disinfect a property. Owners should follow these guidelines before they handover the property, while sitters should incorporate them into their regular cleaning routine and ensure disinfection of the property before they leave.
- Where possible, try to ventilate a room before cleaning by leaving windows open for at least 20 minutes.
- Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before and after each clean, using soap and water for 20 seconds or a hand sanitiser with at least 60% alcohol content.
- When cleaning items or surfaces, it’s important to first use detergent or soap to remove dirt, grease, dust and germs, and then spray a disinfectant. Diluted household bleach or solutions with at least 70% alcohol content are believed to be effective against the coronavirus. You must pay special attention to frequently touched surfaces, such as light switches, doorknobs, and remote controls.
- Please also consider soft furnishings, removing any visible dirt or grime and then cleaning them with an appropriate product.
- While cleaning, wear disposable gloves and ensure they’re thrown out after each clean.
- All linens should be washed at the highest heat setting recommended by the manufacturer. This includes bedding, towels, kitchen towels and blankets.
- Laundry baskets should also be cleaned and disinfected regularly.
- Vacuum cleaners must be emptied after every clean and then wiped down with a disinfectant.
- Be sure to check expiration dates on all supplies.
- Owners must provide sitters with cleaning products and disposable gloves so they can disinfect the property before leaving.