We appreciate that not all of our members are tech-savvy, and that’s great! We’re happy to hear that you can disconnect yourself from the digital world. However, we also know that many of you have camera phones full of adorable pet pics, but continue to ponder on how is best to share them with us.
If you’ve heard about our #TrustedTales competition on Instagram, and the idea of “adding a hashtag to your caption” doesn't quite add up, don't worry — we’re about to take you through the step-by-step guide of downloading Instagram, uploading a picture, and how to hashtag #TrustedTales. Not only will the TrustedHousesitters team see your happy snaps, but you’ll also be automatically entered into our monthly competition for amazing prizes.
Let’s get started with Instagram
Firstly, if you’re not part of the one billion people on Instagram, you may want to reconsider. This is a great way to keep in touch with friends’ day-to-day lives, as well as seeing what other house and pet sitters are doing across the globe!
If this sounds like something you want to be a part of, listen up — we’re going to show you how to download Instagram and get on board with uploading your pet pics.
- Download Instagram from the App Store (iPhone) or Google Play Store (Android)
- Or alternatively, download on your desktop computer
- When you’re here, click “Log in with Facebook” or simply fill in the form with your mobile or email, name, username and password. Then click “Sign up”.
- On Android, click “Sign up with Email or Phone Number” or on iPhone select “Create New Account”.
- On both iPhone and Android phones, you will then need to enter your email address and phone number — then click “Next”. Or you can sign up with your Facebook account on the app too.
- Once you’ve filled out your username and password, you will be instructed to fill out your profile information. Then tap “Done”.
- If you’ve registered using Facebook, you will need to log in to your Facebook account — that’s if you’re not logged in already.
Uploading, editing and posting an image
You’ve downloaded Instagram — great. Now it’s time to get sharing, but “how do I share?” we hear you ask. Let’s take you through how to upload and post an image.
Instagram is a totally visual platform where you scroll through images that do not rely on text. This means, unlike Facebook, where you can select 50 photos to put into an album, you have to be a tad pickier as to what pictures you upload.
We recommend not uploading every picture you have on your phone, but picking the select few you love.
Now, let’s delve into how to upload, edit and post an image. Either watch this video or read our step-by-step below…
- Click the "+" icon in the bottom centre of your screen.
- You have two options: you can look at your photo library on your phone, or take a new picture or video within Instagram using your camera. Once you’ve found your photo, tap it, and drag it to the perfect position within the square frame — you can zoom into the image using the pinching action on the screen.
- There are two categories for you to edit your image. Instagram will automatically show you filters first, which you can scroll through and apply to your image if you feel they need it. If you want to use a filter, but wouldn’t like it to show as strongly, simply tap the filter twice and move the cursor to the left to lessen the intensity.
- Then, click “Edit” on the bottom right, which will allow you to change the brightness and exposure of the image — only if it needs it, of course. If and when you’re happy, click “Next” in the top right.
Note: You don’t need to edit your picture if it’s already good enough!
- Now’s the important bit — adding your caption. Simply type into the box next to the small square version of your image and begin typing. You can be as creative with your caption as you like. If you’re sharing a snap from your TrustedHousesitters’ adventures, we suggest including the pet’s name and where you are in the world. Oh, and make sure to include the text #TrustedTales — this is how you’ll be entered into the competition.
- Alternatively, you can add your whereabouts under “Add Location”. Here you can type a place and suggestions for a location will automatically pop up. Tap on your location and then you’re done.
- When you’re ready, it’s time to share! Simply head to the top right-hand corner and click “Share”.
And that’s all there is to it. We hope this helps your to share you pet pics — we can’t wait to see them.