About Susan & Paul
We are retired and enjoy travel. We have been house sitters in Australia for fifteen years, with a range of assignments. Paul is a member of Lion's Club International, Probus and Men's Shed. He is a retired engineer formerly employed by the Commonwealth Dept of Defence Australia. He is a keen sailer, on Lake Macquarie. He is an accomplished se...
We are retired and enjoy travel. We have been house sitters in Australia for fifteen years, with a range of assignments. Paul is a member of Lion's Club International, Probus and Men's Shed. He is a retired engineer formerly employed by the Commonwealth Dept of Defence Australia. He is a keen sailer, on Lake Macquarie. He is an accomplished self made handyman, capable of undertaking all forms of tasks within the running of an average home. Susan worked in the medical profession. She is involved with her local church, keen gardener and patchworker, involved in a group making quilts for local and international needs. We have 7 children, eighteen grandchildren. We have undertaken volunteering work with Outback Links/Australia, working on a cattle property in the western area of Queensland. We are well travelled in the outback of Australia.
We have a police check in Australia and carry a Blue Card, which is accredited to work with children. Paul has a "spook" clearance from the Commonwealth Dept of Defence..
We have also travelled overseas to housesit..
Why we want to house sit
We love to house and pet sit! We enjoy becoming part of a local community. We attend local activities and groups, eg Lion's Club (Paul)and patchworking groups (Susan).
Although retired and able to travel on tours we prefer to get involved, i.e. like a working holiday!
We love the animals and experiences. We enjoy meeting people, sharing lives and experiences.
We have cared for:-
* peacocks, peafowl, free range kangaroos and native birds on a property west of the Gold Coast/Queensland.
* three golden retreiver dogs who enjoyed their morning walk amongst the cane fields of northern Queensland.
*Numerous other suburban assignments with dogs, cats and birds. One cat with asthma requiring a "puffer", several others needing medication, also dogs needing medication One dog requiring insulin injections twice daily.
* 2013 we undertook an assignment in the Highlands of Scotland, caring for a 200 year old stone cottage and hobby farm. We cared for three dogs, a three legged cat, two chickens and a pond of ducks. All this in knee high snow.......and loved it. Another tick off the bucket list. Returned to Scotland in 2017 to visit Barry and Gilly in Blairgowrie, and meet the "new boys on the block."
* August 2013 we had a placement on 250 acre cattle property out of Proserpine on the Whitsunday Islands in Australia. We also had charge of a very old dog, two cats and garden maintenance. Whitsundays in August - Utopia!
* stay on an acreage farm property in New Zealand, dogs, cats, travelling with two dogs who loved the car. One dog, a Bedlington terrier which required constant surveillance.
*acreage in Coffs Harbour Australia. Return visit to care for labrador and two British Blue cats.
* 2016 Mullumbimby hinterland, labrador and two cats
# Volunteering with Outback Links on a cattle property at Nebo, central western Queensland. Worked with mustering, branding cattle etc. Working dogs and general property work.
*On the home front we have cared for dogs, cats (one very old) rabbits and numerous guinea pigs.
##### Specialists in large dogs and pets requiring medication.
* September 2015, we "sat" on a native animal "rescue, rehabilitate and release" sanctuary, adjacent to Litchfield National Park in the Northern Territory, Australia. We cared for 150 kangaroos in various levels of needs, joeys still requiring bottles and pseudo pouches. There was a roo who had been bitten in the eye by a snake and who still required daily antibiotic injections and cleaning of his eye. We also cared for possums, some still being weaned, and sugar gliders. A special bonus was a Frog Mouth Owl and a Blue Winged Kookaburra who were fed daily. "Froggie" was so special. Although well out of our comfort zone we absolutely loved it. We can now take on anything, just try us!
During 2016 we have undertaken numerous sits, mainly suburban dogs and cats, of all shapes and sizes. Recently two rag doll cats in western N.S.W. Australia, one cat with anxiety issues requiring mediation.
Experienced in use of a generator, water pumps, water tanks, ride on lawnmowers and quadbikes.
Experienced in pool care and maintenance - have had own pool for 45 years.
2016 - 2017 Several return sits to 200 acre hobby farm in N.S.Wales hinterland. Three large dogs, chickens.
Letter from Blairgowrie Scotland following the death of the dogs:-
Dear Paul & Sue ; Doesn't life just gallop along at our age ! Such sad tidings , we only have the chickens left now . Poor old Murphy died in December last year , we think of prostate cancer. He, as he always was, was so, so brave ,right to the end . Then , while Baz was away in Oz. Gus got very ill , very quickly. We fought back ,but he died after a short struggle. I ,needless tosay, have been devastated & ,miss all of them all the time. I only want to thank you both for all the care & attention you gave our beautiful "family" while you where here. We would not have had them for as long as we did ,if had not been for you.
Maybe next time we're in Oz we'll manage a quick visit to your neck of the woods. . You are of course always welcome here ! Sorry to send such bad tidings . Howeveer we may well start a new menagerie any time soon. Hope you are both in good form & high spirits . Yours with love Gilly & Barry .xxxxxx
Sally - Blackheath NSW , from Aussie House Sitters, Sit Date: Oct 2016
Their endorsement of you:
Susan and Paul were fantastic house sitters. They looked after my 2 dogs, cat, 2 chooks, 2 fish, house and garden really well. One of the dogs is diabetic & needs injections twice a day which they did without difficulty, they even had to make several trips to the vet after she had a hypo attack and did so happily. I would highly recommend these 2 as housesitters, they look after everything really well.