About Michele & Bruce
Having had the good fortune to retire early, and with our children now out of the nest, we have been house sitting around the world for the past three years - a lifestyle we just love! With previous careers in Engineering and Project Management, we are well organized, good communicators, and resourceful self starters. We love animals and have ex...
Having had the good fortune to retire early, and with our children now out of the nest, we have been house sitting around the world for the past three years - a lifestyle we just love! With previous careers in Engineering and Project Management, we are well organized, good communicators, and resourceful self starters. We love animals and have experience caring for many types of pets and properties, with great references on both Trustedhousesitters dot com and external. Our own cat, Jasper, is treated like royalty and we're looking forward to doing the same for yours!
Why we want to house sit
We prefer house sitting to ‘touristing’ as it gives us the opportunity to experience another culture and climate while relaxing 'at home’, enjoying the company of new furry (or feathery or leathery) friends, rather than galavanting around tourist sites every day. We enjoy reading, board games, cooking, yoga, walking/hiking, but would prefer to do this in a new (and preferably warmer) locale. If we are able to meet friends and neighbours, hike or swim with the dogs, or walk the local community, that's a bonus!
We have excellent references that can attest to our reliability, trustworthiness, cleanliness, and of course, the well being and happiness of all the pets! We have never smoked, we’re financially independent, fit, happy, healthy and committed to provide great house sitting services; We are there first and foremost to be companions / caregivers to your animals, and to provide upkeep and security for your property; We will do touring / sight seeing only as it fits in with your pets' schedule.
We love animals and have become the ‘go to’ people to house and pet sit for others. We have significant experience taking care of pets ranging from dwarf bunnies to bearded dragons, horses, some farm animals, and of course a variety of dogs and cats. We have managed many dog breeds including larger ones (Rhodesian Ridgebacks, German Shepherds), older and sick animals requiring medication, rescue cats & dogs, and many with anxieties or behavioural issues. We have found success in befriending them all!
We have owned and cared for our own large house, swimming pool and vacation properties for many years. It has given us experience in maintaining and repairing household fixtures, plumbing, electrical, heating/cooling systems as well as everything from roof repair to sump pumps. Our experience lets us know the difference between a job that we can do efficiently and one where outside help is required. While house sitting we have successfully managed the challenges of many situations, including:
* Managed Spanish speaking staff at an Eco Lodge on a Nicaraguan volcano - including paying them their weekly cash
wages, driving a 4x4 into town to pick up the supplies they needed, and managing any other issues that arose;
* Removed a demented skunk from the property for the safety of the dogs;
* Managed alarms and security issues at a luxury property in South Africa - investigating / rectifying electric fence
issues, interfacing with security companies, verifying alarm settings;
* Fixed many small maintenance issues - running toilets, sticking doors, broken pumps, screen repair, etc.;
* Monitored water reservoir levels and generator capacity at an eco lodge;
* Interfaced with eco lodge customers via phone;
* Managed severe water / electricity restrictions in several locations.
Having used Trustedhousesitters for the care of our own pets and property, we understand what is important to homeowners. In every house sit we undertake, we always strive to:
* Meet our timing commitments - we have never cancelled or shortened a house sit, even when that meant one of us
travelling alone. For longer distance sits, we always arrive in the country well in advance and leave a buffer at the end
to allow for travel delays (either ours or the owners);
* Be flexible - we understand that schedules and circumstances change and we'll do our best to accommodate. In past house sits we have arrived early, left early, and even extended our stay at the last minute when the owner’s return was delayed;
* Ensure your pets' routines are maintained - animals are happiest when their feeding, exercise and affection schedules
are kept consistent;
* Provide regular status updates when all is well, including pictures of your happy pets;
* Provide immediate communication if something does go wrong;
* Ensure you return to a home that has been well maintained and is cleaner than you left it;
* Leave you with no extra costs, through the frugal use of water and utilities, and providing for our own supplies
while we stay.