About James & Clare
We are a couple of non smoking, animal loving 52 year olds from the UK and New Zealand who enjoy travel and experiencing anything and everything our globe trotting life has to offer us. We have over 50 house and pet sitting experiences in many countries, from small flats and mansions through to farms and small holdings and have loved every minut...
We are a couple of non smoking, animal loving 52 year olds from the UK and New Zealand who enjoy travel and experiencing anything and everything our globe trotting life has to offer us. We have over 50 house and pet sitting experiences in many countries, from small flats and mansions through to farms and small holdings and have loved every minute of it! We are lucky enough to have retired young, allowing us to become global citizens, travelling and house sitting full time. We are travellers, not tourists, and as such our primary focus is the care of your property and pets.
Please take time to view our video to get an idea of how well your pets will be cared for. We are true animal lovers and as our lifestyle precludes having our own pets, we are thrilled to have the opportunity to take care of yours. We treat them all like they are our own.
We bring many tools and knowledge to house sitting opportunities:
* As pet owners for most of our lives, we understand the importance of your pet/s to you. We will take the time to really get to know them, enjoying their company as you do and treating them as our own. We always miss them when we go.
* We have looked after, and catered to the needs of, a wide variety of animals. From pets that live inside the house (and on the bed) to working dogs who live outside. Farm animals, rescue dogs, pedigree pets, kittens and puppies. We have had them all at some stage. All of your pets needs will be met. We are just as happy to play with your boisterous pets as to sit quietly with the timid ones.
* We will happily step in and take care of the special needs of your animals .... be they behavioural, medical or otherwise. We have helped with the re-training of a “fear aggressive” rescue dog, and administered medication orally, topically and by injection to both farm animals and pets. The welfare of your pet will be of paramount importance to us.
* We will keep you posted during your absence by sending you photos of relaxed and happy pets having fun with us and being pampered.
* We are happy to be bound by the routine of your pets, taking your dog with us wherever we go if appropriate, sticking to regular feeding times and playing with your pets in the home. Walking dogs is never viewed as a chore, rather an opportunity to get out in the local community.
* As home owners in the UK, we understand the importance of security and will be around daily to ensure a lived in feel and look to your home, airing it and/or keeping it warm as necessary.
* We are fully aware of the responsibility of looking after your home and will endeavour to sort out any issues that arise on our watch. We have not yet had to interrupt a home owner’s holiday as we are mindful it is YOUR break!
* As a handyman, James will bring peace of mind to fixing practical problems that may arise in your absence. Experienced at building and electrical work and with an ability to fix all manner of household items, a practical application along with a ton of common sense ... he is capable of solving most problems that may arise round the home.
* As keen gardeners we enjoy keeping the outdoors alive and under control as needed. We have mowed large acre lawns and small city plots, using a variety of tools from sit on mowers to strimmers and hand shears. We are equally capable with vegetable plots, flower gardens and temperamental indoor plants.
* We are happy to shovel snow, trim trees, chop wood and carry out any other chores required to keep the home fires burning.
* We will clean and tidy the house as you would. In fact our home owners often remark that the house is cleaner on their return than when they left!
* We have lived and house sat in the UK, Europe, Asia, North, Central & South Americas and New Zealand .... and look forward to many more corners of the earth.
* We have stayed in mansions with swimming pools and spas, small apartments in the city, large acreage farm properties, yachts, adobe huts in places with limited power and resources, off the grid, on the grid and everything in between. In the tropics with the bugs and pests and in the snow in sub zero temperatures. We have loved every minute of it.
* We are equally at home by the ocean, in the hills, in remote villages or in the city center, sitting for periods ranging from a single night to 6 months.
* We have lived in countries deemed to be safe and free; countries bound by century old traditions and religions, countries just emerging post civil war and countries that require special attention to our health and safety .
* We have driven every conceivable vehicle from one to 20 wheels! and varying powered and unpowered boats. We have both had full motorcycle and car driving licences for 30+ years, are used to driving on all manor of roads and tracks and on either side of the road .
* We have looked after small holdings with cattle, horses, pigs, goats, donkeys, sheep, chickens, alpacas and ducks and are experienced at feeding out and paddock rotation. We have also worked with sheep dogs on a sheep farm as you can see on our Waimate, NZ 2015 Blog video.
* We can operate in a number of languages including, but not exclusively English, French, Spanish & Nepali. We have sat in countries where we have had to learn the language as we go, which is not a problem to us. We are understanding and highly respectful of other’s cultures , religions and beliefs.
* We like to get involved in the communities where we sit, and one or both of us will often seek volunteer work locally if the sit is long enough.
* As professionals in our previous working lives, having owned our own and managed other people’s businesses, we are organised, reliable and thorough in our preparation for your sit.
* Our communication before and during your sit will ensure you feel at ease with both us and the house sitting process.
* We will follow your instructions in everything to do with your home and pets.
* We are technologically literate and whilst we like to have access to some internet, we don’t require it for work so are happy with slower service in remote areas.
* We will consider sits in all areas of the world, especially if we haven’t been before, and stay for as long as you need us. We have even stayed on to cater for delayed flights and endeavour not to book back to back sits for this reason.
* We are always happy to arrive early if you would like to get to know us a little or the sit requires special instruction.
* We are both fit and healthy, clean living and non-smoking and intent on leaving the smallest possible footprint wherever we go.
* Once we commit to your sit you can be assured we will be there. We have never let a home owner down.
* We are often asked to do repeat sits and are always very happy to do so if the timing fits with our current bookings. We have yet to meet a home/pet owner that we have not got on with. We attribute this to our shared love of pets and travel!
We have plenty of references which will confirm our reliability, honesty and self sufficiency while caring for your property and pets.
Your pets, your property, our priority!
Thank you for considering us for your sit.