About Matthew & Matthew
We are Matthew and Marie, a non-smoking married British couple. We retired four years ago and since then have been house and pet sitting, and touring the UK and Europe in our campervan. In that time, we've enjoyed 19 house-sits and looked after 16 dogs, 18 cats as well as chickens and fish! When we're not house and pet sitting, we enjoy visiting...
We are Matthew and Marie, a non-smoking married British couple. We retired four years ago and since then have been house and pet sitting, and touring the UK and Europe in our campervan. In that time, we've enjoyed 19 house-sits and looked after 16 dogs, 18 cats as well as chickens and fish! When we're not house and pet sitting, we enjoy visiting friends and spending time with the family, especially the grandchildren - we have four adult children and five young grandchildren.
We're home owners and pet lovers and over the years have had both dogs and cats but we no longer have pets of our own.
We've lived and worked in UK and USA and travelled widely, including extended stays and house/pet-sits in UK, Canada, France, Spain, Portugal and Czech Republic.
We held senior positions in the workplace, including a career in pet healthcare working with veterinary professionals, and project management of international sports events and large office relocations and refurbishments for high profile clients.
Why we want to house sit
We enjoy travelling and we love animals, and house and pet-sitting lets us enjoy both! It also allows us to spend more time in an area, get to know it and become, in a small way, part of that community. There's no better way to get to know the neighbours than walking the dog!
Plus it keeps us busy and active, provides added focus and interest to our travels, and helps to eke out the pension a little longer.
Two very 'safe pairs of hands'! Dependable, resourceful and organised, responsible, honest, trustworthy and reliable. We're home owners who have had busy business careers, raised children and help with grandchildren, we're pet lovers and have had pets. We know what's required when looking after your house and your pets, how to deal with the day-to-day and, importantly, the unexpected.
We've undertaken nearly 20 house and pet sits in the UK, Europe and Canada, including:
• Algarve, Portugal: Looking after an elderly terrier cross and a cat, the owners' home and caretaking a residential holiday home park set over several acres (4 months).
• Stirling, Scotland: Lively Jack Russell terrier in a large Victorian house (3 weeks).
• Villeneuve-sur-Lot, France: Gite complex with two gites (one with tenants), the owner's home and six chickens. On-site contact for local builders and tradesmen (6 weeks) .
• Almeria, Spain: A very rural sit with two large rescue dogs - a Retriever/Pointer cross and Spanish sheepdog type cross - both needed a great deal of walking! (5 weeks).
• Toronto, Canada: City centre sit with a Small Shihtzu/Yorkie (Shorkie!) in a downtown condo (3 weeks).
• Carcassonne, France: Three gite complex, owner's property, a Pyrenean Mountain Dog and Labrador Retriever, cat, six chickens and three on-site builders (5 weeks).
• Capestang, France: Nine year old rescue French Bulldog who could be quite nervous (2 weeks).
• Pau, France: Wintery rural house sit with a very energetic Fauves de Bretagne/Lurcher cross and a much more sedate, and slightly blind, Fox Terrier/Poodle cross (1 week).
• Montauban, France: A suburban sit with a rescued Galgo Espanol (Spanish Greyhound) and three cats (10 days).
• Suffolk, UK: Zorro, the 17 year old cat and boss of a very beautiful thatched cottage with, perhaps, an even more beautiful garden which is open to the public once a year (3 weeks).
• Stirling, Scotland. Molly, a very energetic 5yr old Lab x Border Collie who loves long walks in the woods (2 weeks)
• Bushy, London. Monty, a 2yr old Basset Hound & Nax the cat (3 weeks)
• Buckinghamshire: Jock, a Scottish Terrier (2 weeks)
• Manchester: Three cats - Mrs P, Terence and Eric (2 weeks)
We're happy to deal with post and phone calls, maintain pools, take care of the garden and grounds, and manage local suppliers/contractors. We can also handle reception duties, cash, client liaison, prepare properties for arrivals and departures, and conduct viewings.
We're versatile, adaptable and dependable and enjoy house-sitting all kinds of properties, whether large or small, urban or rural, domestic or business. You'll have piece of mind when you leave your pet(s) and home in our hands - we'll look after them like they're our own.