About Jennifer & Ron
Jen and Ron are 53 years young, married for twenty-seven years, with thirty years of homeownership, estate and professional pet care experience. We are as squeaky clean as they come: clear police and driving records; outstanding credit scores; no drugs, smoking or other addictions; in excellent health, and we keep a very tidy home. We are enthus...
Jen and Ron are 53 years young, married for twenty-seven years, with thirty years of homeownership, estate and professional pet care experience. We are as squeaky clean as they come: clear police and driving records; outstanding credit scores; no drugs, smoking or other addictions; in excellent health, and we keep a very tidy home. We are enthusiastic about lifestyle design, healthy living, the environment, nature, wildlife, and learning about other cultures through travel. We'd love to care for your pets, home and gardens while we explore your community.
Jen is a pet care expert, animal behavior consultant, and dog trainer. Ron is a master plumbing and house remodeling contractor. Both of us have green thumbs. Between us we have your home and pet care needs covered!
Jen has a lifetime of animal experiences as a trainer and behavior consultant, veterinary assistant, pet groomer, breeder, and show competitor. She has worked with a wide variety of species as a local in-home petsitter for twenty years (she owned a local pet sitting business). Jen is exceedingly detail oriented, a creative thinker, and has a “can do” attitude. Jen loves animals (duh, right?), gardening, photography, writing, reading, nature hikes and beach walks.
Ron, a master plumber and house remodeling contractor by profession, is an efficient self-starter with an exceptional work ethic. He is mechanically minded and extremely handy around the house, yard, garden, and swimming pool. Ron has a very gentle, easygoing personality. He enjoys swimming, water skiing, hiking, basketball, hockey and golf.
Melia, our 12 year old daughter, is a precociously smart "world-schooler" (she homeschools whenever we travel to housesit). Melia has always been intellectual rather than physical, and very well-mannered and mature for her age. There's absolutely no need to worry about her being rowdy in your home -- she's simply not that kind of kid. Like us, Melia is clean, tidy, gentle and organized. Melia is well versed in how to interact compassionately, appropriately, and safely with animals. Melia enjoys reading, math, chess, origami, art, knitting, museums, science and nature walks. (P.S. Melia doesn't require a bedroom of her own -- we can bring a portable air mattress for her if needed.)
FYI: We adopted Melia from China. To adopt internationally, many hoops must be jumped through to prove that the adoptive parents are completely free from any wrongdoing. We were fingerprinted and checked for criminal history, our references were verified, and social workers came to our home and businesses to interview and observe us. We mention these personal details to offer you additional reassurance.
Additional photos, videos, and references can be found on our personal website: http://homepetlove.blogspot.com. We are also very happy to chat by phone or Skype.
Why we want to house sit
We enjoy travel and exploring lifestyles in different types of communities. Having time to settle in, develop a routine, and make new friends appeals to us. Enjoying the comforts of a home, having time for long walks around the area, being able to enjoy our hobbies and one another, all while providing love for pets -- and receiving it -- is the most ideal of travel lifestyles we can imagine.
Furthermore, we are committed to providing Melia, our precociously bright and inquisitive daughter, with a worldly education in culture and diversity through home-schooling and experiential learning. We are grateful for the opportunity to explore as a family, exemplifying that the world is our classroom.
JEN'S DETAIL OF SKILLS:
* HOME AND PET SITTING (20+ years) -- Jen operated a professional, local home and pet sitting business entailing the training and management of a staff of up to a dozen other sitters.
* DOG TRAINING (30 years) -- Positive reinforcement based behavior modification. Obedience class instructor. Problem-behavior consultant. Therapy and service dog trainer. Puppy raiser for Guide Dogs For The Blind. Successfully competed in agility, obedience, herding, Schutzhund, frisbee, weight-pulling and flyball.
* HORSE TRAINING (9 years) -- Ground manners, carriage driving, clicker training, desensitization, parades. Successfully competed in combined driving events.
* BUSINESS MANAGEMENT (30 years) -- Program development, employee management, marketing, QuickBooks, copy editing, basic web design.
* COACHING (5 years) -- Financial, small business, lifestyle design; author.
* GARDENING (24 years) -- Jen planted her first organic garden in 1989. Perennials, shrubs, trees, lawn care.
RON'S DETAIL OF SKILLS:
* MASTER PLUMBING CONTRACTOR (30 years) -- Repairs, remodeling, new construction projects, gas piping, radiant in-floor heating systems, ponds, and swimming pools.
* HOME CONTRACTOR -- Ron managed multiple remodeling projects and the construction of our own custom home.
* LANDSCAPING, GARDENING (24 years) -- We landscaped our 7 acre farm property from scratch.
* MACHINE OPERATOR (30 years) -- Lawn and garden maintenance machinery, power tools, boats, trucks, and trailers.
* BUSINESS MANAGEMENT (18 years) -- Owner and operator of a successful plumbing and heating company.