About Rik & Megan
Hi, we are Rik and Megan. We live together in beautiful Portland, Oregon in the Pacific Northwest. We spent our earlier years in rural Ohio, where we grew up and attended university. Rik works as an archaeologist and art conservator, while Megan specializes in geology. We are both very passionate about the outdoors and spend much of our time ba...
Hi, we are Rik and Megan. We live together in beautiful Portland, Oregon in the Pacific Northwest. We spent our earlier years in rural Ohio, where we grew up and attended university. Rik works as an archaeologist and art conservator, while Megan specializes in geology. We are both very passionate about the outdoors and spend much of our time backpacking, camping, and adventuring. While at home, you can usually find Megan in the kitchen, trying her hand at some new, enticing recipes, while Rik proves to be a sufficient sou chef. When not cooking, we tend to indulge in a good read or the latest TV show we are following. We love catching our favorite bands in town, trying new foods, and exposing ourselves to both familiar and unfamiliar arts.
Why we want to house sit
Like most people, we are at a point in our lives where much of our energies are consumed by our work. However, we are fortunate enough to hold careers that garner us the ability to take short periods of time off, which we wish to use as an opportunity to travel, explore, and meet new people. Having spent our whole lives with pets, our current living situation in Portland doesn't allow us to have furry mates of our own. Housesitting allows us to travel and enjoy quality time with animals that, at the moment, we do not get at home.
Traveling, to us, is being able to spend an extended amount of time in one place, meeting locals and experiencing the surrounds unhindered by time crunches and busy touristing. Housesitting allows us to travel at leisure, gaining a glimpse into the lives of others, while briefly experiencing the joys of pet ownership.
Having extensive experience in housesitting ourselves, we know the stresses involved with leaving your home and pets to the care of others. Your time away should be spent enjoying the moment, not worrying about how things are going back at home.
We have traveled quite a bit throughout the United States, often pet sitting for various friends, family, and coworkers. We have both spent our entire lives surrounded by a variety of family pets ranging from dogs and cats, to birds, snakes, turtles, ferrets, fish, rabbits, and a multitude of farm animals. We are true animal lovers who feel comfortable around all types of pets, big or small, energetic or lethargic, healthy or in need of special care.
Megan has a natural green thumb, tending a small garden and several houseplants at our home in Portland. Rik offers a variety of handy skills from his years working in labor intensive fields, including roofing, construction, and archaeology.
Overall, we are known to be clean, tidy, responsible, and trustworthy folks. Your home and pets will remain our top priority at all times, and you can rest easy knowing they are well looked after.
From 2013 to 2015, Rik maintained his own Trusted Housesitters account while traveling abroad. During this time he gained extensive experience housesitting for families around the world. Unfortunately, over the past few years he has lost access to his previous account and only a summary of his sits can be offered as reference. Below you will find a basic list of those sitting locations, pets involved, and duration.
1) Ladd's Addition, Portland, Oregon, USA- 2 Greyhounds, 1 Cat. Multiple Weekends.
2) Pott's Point, Sydney, NSW, Australia- 2 Cats. 1 Week.
3) Mount Evelyn, VIC, Australia- 1 Dachshund, 2 Cats, 1 Canary. 10 Days.
4) Frankston, VIC, Australia- 1 Husky, 1 Cat. 1 Week.
5) Wonthaggi, VIC, Australia- 4 St. Bernards, 2 Cats, 2 Goats, 5 Chickens. 5 Weeks.
6) Kettering, TAS, Australia- 1 Irish Wolfhound, 8 Chickens, 1 Wallaby. 3 Weeks.
7) Dunedin, New Zealand- 1 Selkirk Rex Cat. 4 Weeks.
8) Ayvalik, Turkey- 1 Black Labrador, 8 Cats, 3 Tortoises. 4 Weeks.
9) Palaiochora, Crete, Greece- 2 Cats. 3 Weeks.
10) Faro, Portugal- 1 Golden Retriever, 1 Cat. 4 Weeks.
11) Cazorla, Jaen, Spain- 3 Dogs. 2 Weeks.
12) Nancy, France- 2 Cats. 1 Week.
13) Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia- 4 Horses, 1 Dog, 6 Chickens, 10 Cows, 2 Cats. 3 Weeks.
14) Brede, Denmark- 1 Dog, 2 Cats. 10 Days.
15) Hervanta, Tampere, Finland- 1 Dog, 1 Cat. 3 Weeks.
16) Ulverston, England, UK-1 Border Collie. 2.5 Weeks.
17) Brae, Shetland, Scotland, UK- 1 Dog- 10 Days.
18) Ballynakill, Broadford, Co. Kildare, Ireland- 1 Irish Setter, 2 Siamese Cats. 4 Weeks.
19) Irvington, Portland, Oregon, USA- 1 Dog. 10 Days.
20) Kerns, Portland, Oregon, USA- 1 Border Collie. 5 Weeks.
21) Arbor Lodge, Portland, Oregon, USA- 1 Cat, 4 Chickens. 4 Weeks.
22) Richmond, Portland, Oregon, USA- 1 English Mastiff. Multiple Weekends.
23) Alphabet District, Portland, Oregon, USA- 1 Shiloh Shepard. Multiple Weekends.
24) Reading, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA- 1 Pitbull, 1 Weimaraner, 2 Cats. Multiple Occasions.