Dog Sitter for Small Dog Rescue & Neutering Organisation in Bulgaria (November ->)
We run a small dog rescue and also a neutering program. We have 7 dogs of our own (2 are very very nervous and better with women than men) and often have various fosters living with us (currently 5 puppies and one dog). Sometimes we have more dogs that come for short term stays for treatment or assessment or before and after neutering. We have just purchased another property to turn into a neutering clinic. All dogs are fostered in our own home and garden so it can be a bit manic, especially at feeding time.
We are looking for someone with good references, experienced with dogs, confident with them and happy with their own company and the fact that we live in a very rural area where no one speaks English and it is 20km to the nearest large supermarket. There is a decent shop in the village and a small mini-market and vegetable/fruit market about 5km away and we can supply a bike. Or we go into the large village and towns fairly regularly and can take you every now and then for shopping....
We need to travel for a few days at a time to help with neutering programs across Bulgaria and do fund raising events. Its also nice if we can get away for a few days every now and then for a break. We also have a lot of building work to do for the organisation so a helping hand with the dogs is great.
If you are arty or want to get involved in things like making garden sculptures, building mud brick walls, murials etc, plastering (external) there is loads of work to do. We also need to build new kennels etc so there is plenty to do but also when we are around you are welcome to go off exploring the country (or nearby countries).
- Caring for our dogs (we have 7 of our own and sometimes foster dogs). They do not need walking as we have a large secure garden so it tends to be letting out in morning, feeding, cleaning up after them, keeping an eye on them during the day (inside or outside) and then feeding at night. Our dogs sleep in the house, the foster dogs are kennelled outside.
- Traditional Bulgarian village, there are a couple of shops, little bar.
- In the Rose Valley and Valley of the Thracian tombs
- Fairly rural and 3km to nearest train station and 20km to main town
Must be very confident with dogs, happy with own company and not put off by fact no one really speaks English in the village.
Be able to cope with a large number of dogs with very differing personalities.
Whilst not necessary, it would be better if the dog sitter had a car (we can arrange a hire car at your cost). But we can take you shopping when we are about to stock up as required and happy to drop you at train station so you can go off and explore different areas.
Basically when we are around, you would be free to go off exploring Bulgaria and we would encourage this. Usually we go away maybe once every 10 days for 2 or 3 days at a time. Then we'll be at home for a week or so before going off again. So there would be plenty of time for you to have for yourself and go off exploring. This worked really well in the past with our dog sitter going off to Turkey for a few days, Greece, Serbia, Romania etc.....
So for this reason its maybe a little different from usual house sitting placements as when we are at home and around, you would not really be needed and so could go off and do your own thing.
You would be accommodated in your own apartment in the house we own next door with its own garden, although sometimes we need to put the odd dog in the garden.
Ideally we are looking from around 1st November until middle of December but are flexible to some degree. And it might be possible for the right person to stay through the winter, although usually we are not around as much and have not done this in the past. If staying over winter you would need a car (with snow tyres).
Not suitable for families. Ideally single lady or couple.
ALSO please note VERY IMPORTANT - not suitable for people that need the internet for work. There is internet at the apartment but a bit hit and miss and comes from our connection. The weather can interfere with the internet as well. If you need constant quick internet or to do online work this is not for you. + More info
Our Home & Location
The accommodation you would be in is a one bedroom apartment in the house next door, with a bedroom, small wet room and toilet, basic kitchen and dining area and lounge. There is a TV with DVD player but not satellite TV. Internet is from our home connection. It works ok but not for someone needing to be online 24/7 or watch constant TV through or work with it, but you should be able to get your emails and get online for a bit. When we are away you can of course use the better internet at our house. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. If you need the internet to work then this house sit is probably not viable for you.
Our own home is a fairly modern bungalow. The dogs sleep in our house and foster dogs outside....
We have a large secure garden for the dogs that they have free run of. There is also a separate dog pen and dog kennels outside.
We are a traditional typical Bulgarian village, a little run down to look at. There are a couple of shops and a small bar. It is 3km from nearest train station and 20 mins drive from town/city. + More info
Responsibilities & Pets
- Caring for our dogs (we have 7 of our own). They do not need walking as we have a large secure garden so it tends to be letting out in morning, feeding, cleaning up after them, keeping an eye on them during the day, play, brushing etc and then feeding at night and putting away. Our dogs sleep in the house, the foster dogs are kennelled outside....
- When we are away you will need to be with the dogs most of the day, this can be sat outside reading a book while they play in the garden or weeding in the garden or being creative outside if the weather is nice. Or if weather is not too nice or if it is too hot for the dogs to be out, then you can be inside on the internet or watching TV in the house.
That's it - easy! Come and relax, explore a new culture and enjoy the slow pace of life here! + More info