Cat lovers for house sit in NYC
Hi! Welcome to New York City! I am a single gal and share my apartment with my two furry friends, Socks and Shoes, who I've had for nearly nine years. They are litter mates and have been together all their lives.
Our Home & Location
Welcome to Queens, New York City!
The boys will - eventually - welcome you home. Socks can always be counted on to be the first one out and meowing his welcome [at least as I choose to see it - he's probably asking to be fed!]...
The benefit of living in Queens is that this is a fairly spacious apartment with separate kitchen and dining areas and a large living room. You will have your own space in the guest room with a twin bed and closet space where you can make yourself at home. Feel free to shut the door if you so choose as the boys are equally comfortable anywhere in the apartment.
Because my guest bed is just a twin, I'm not really set up to have couples stay, although a couple of intrepid house sitters have made use of my air mattress. Feel free to apply if you're comfortable with that option - I've slept on both the airbed and the couch and they are not bad.
There is wifi and a Netflix [or some other online subscription - I rotate through them]. There is also an antenna that catches a few local channels but I don't have cable tv. I do have a ton of books, though, that you are welcome to read through during your stay. There is a park across the street with a track if you prefer to run, and a local running group you can find on meetup.com that is very active and often meets at the park to go running in the 'hood. Woodside is right next to Sunnyside, which was voted the third best location to live in the outer boroughs. You are a short stroll from some wonderful ethnic food and bustling Irish pubs.
With the 7 train just two blocks away you are twenty minutes from Manhattan and the madness of Times Square, and connections to all of the major subway lines, although I encourage everyone to spend a bit of their time exploring Queens as well. If the 7-train is down for any reason, the R train Northern Blvd. stop is a slightly longer walk, or you can take the E to Jackson Heights and transfer to the 7. The Q32 bus also stops under the 7-train tracks and is a slower option to midtown or the scenic route back home. I just don't recommend the R-train walk at night since it goes through a couple of industrial blocks that are not very well lit, and it's not a route I personally take. I've not heard of any happenings there; just a cautionary note. + More info
Responsibilities & Pets
Shoes likes nothing better than curling up with me on the couch or wedging himself next to me on "our" chair. Socks' favorite past time is annoying Shoes or dislodging him from his favorite spot, and loudly announcing breakfast and dinner times.
Socks has a food addiction and is overweight so I don't like to leave food out. They are on a prescription diet so no treats please unless they are very good, and even so, please limit to 1-2 each per day....
They both get prescription dry food only in their own bowls twice a day. Food is stored in a sealed plastic tub. Please refresh the water in their water fountain every couple of days - it's easy to unplug and just dump out water and refill with tap water if there are a lot of floaties. Otherwise, just top off if water gets low. Extra litter will be out as well to refill if needed.
Shoes is an anxious cat. After one of the first petsits he started tonocassiknally pee outside his box. It’s now a regular thing. We’ve tried a few different things but he’s happy going in the bathroom so I’ve taken to using puppy pee pads in “his” spot. It works for him since that’s the only place he goes. So you’ll have to contend with tossing out his pee pad after he’s done. We continue to try different litter to see if that helps but we haven’t found one yet that he prefers to the pads. He’s sorry but that’s his thing.
Their default hangout is under my bed if they are scared, but generally they like to be where the people are. Shoes can sometimes be found in the laundry basket in my closet also.
In case of emergency, I've listed my emergency contact info. My sister should be contacted before you take the boys to emergency vet - but exercise your judgement if things are dire. However I do expect to be contacted via email or text with what's going on, although if I'm out of the country I do not expect for you to wait for a reason response before taking the next logical step.
My expectations of house sitters:
- The boys will be fed twice daily about twelve hours apart. They're used to my schedule, which is 6-6:30 AM and ~7-7:30 PM, but they adapt. If I know I’m going to be out late I leave a little extra in the morning and then just feed them when I get home. Certainly don’t expect anyone to be back on a time table. Socks will be your early morning alarm though!
- human company for part of the day - they like to hang out with you.
- refill the water bowl every couple of days when it gets low.
- change out the water fountain every 3-4 days as you see necessary.
- clean the litter box daily. The garbage for the building is as you’re leaving so very convenient to toss daily.
- No house guests. I am trusting You with my Home. Please do not bring other guests.
- No smoking inside the house please.
- Please send me updates at least every other day about what's been happening; I miss my boys. A photo via text message is sufficient. This is my main reason for going the house sitting route.
- Please leave things as you you find them.
- Please leave some feedback or notes in the Book of Shoes & Socks.... their local petsitter started it and it's a fun little record!
- And if you wouldn't mind, please feed the plants as well - your best judgement is probably as good if not better than mine. Yes those empty plant pots did have live plants at one point. And yes I do much better with live pets + More info
August 2018 | Mackenzie
July 2018 | Wendy
April 2018 | Hayley
January 2018 | Belinda
October 2017 | Diana
July 2017 | Anmarie
April 2017 | Tati
April 2017 | Michelle
February 2017 | Bridget
November 2016 | Jade
September 2016 | Lesley
July 2016 | Sarah
May 2016 | Aliyah
February 2016 | Layne
January 2016 | Mim
- + Show all previous sitters - Hide extra