Exploring, sniffing and digging — what dog doesn't love spending time in the garden? And with many of us sharing their passion for the outdoors, often planting and pruning as soon as the sun shines, we’ve put together a list of plants that are poisonous to dogs.
From plants dogs should not eat to flowers they must avoid sniffing, here’s a go to guide to refer to when getting your green fingers out.
Poisonous plants for dogs to avoid
Also known as wolfsbane or Monkshood, every part of this plant contains a deadly toxin that could be fatal to our furry friends. In fact, it was historically used to kill both wolves and “mad dogs”.
If your dog eats the berries of this toxic plant, they could suffer from vomiting and diarrhoea. If your dog is persistently around this plant, it could also cause severe skin irritation.
Amaryllis Belladonna bulbs are widely known to cause dogs distressing and dangerous symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and tremors.
Although pretty, this flowery plant is highly toxic to dogs. If eaten, the side effects can include excessive salivation, vomiting, and diarrhoea.
Although a popular bloom to brighten up both the home and the garden, daffodils are dangerous when eaten by dogs. While all parts of the plant can cause problems, daffodil bulbs are particularly poisonous to dogs and can cause symptoms such as vomiting and convulsions.
Many animal lovers know that lilies are poisonous to our feline friends, but may not know that there are many varieties of lilies that are dangerous to dogs too. When eaten, they can cause symptoms such as upset stomachs and even depression.
More commonly known as Larkspur, these flowering plants are highly poisonous and pose a great threat to both dogs and humans. While they can cause neuromuscular effects in our pawed pals, a small amount of the plant can kill a human.
They may be a honey bee's best friend, but foxgloves are highly toxic for both people and dogs. If eaten, foxgloves can cause your dog to suffer severe nausea and vomiting.
Even the smallest amount of this poisonous herb can cause them to look extremely overexcited, but in fact these are mimicked as symptoms such as seizures, panting, violent convulsions and severe pain in the abdomen — these plants have also been found to cause sudden death to creatures of all shapes and sizes — be careful of Hemlock.
If they chew or digest the bulbs of these springtime beauties, dogs are likely to suffer irritation in both their mouth and oesophagus. Common issues include drooling and diarrhoea, while breathing difficulties can also occur when large quantities of bulbs have been consumed.
If your dog digests this popular plant, they are likely to encounter a seriously upset stomach and possible side effects like depression, high heart rates and temperature, and vomiting.
Fortunately, it is relatively well known that Ivy is poisonous to canines. Causing serious harm both inside and out, including dermatitis and damage to your dog’s gastrointestinal tract, Ivy should be avoided and never consumed.
All parts of these glorious golden plants are toxic to dogs and can cause nausea and vomiting when digested.
Lily of the valley
They may look pretty and smell sweet, but these plants are highly poisonous to dogs and cause serious harm. When ingested, the plants can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and even seizures.
Although a large amount of this flowering plant would need to be ingested and incidents of lupine poisoning in dogs seems to be rare, it is known to be toxic to dogs and so should still be avoided.
The seeds of this beautiful vine are toxic to dogs, with large quantities causing distressing symptoms such as vomiting and even hallucinations.
This highly toxic tree must be avoided, with every part posing a threat to both dogs and humans. Even taking a drink of water with an oleander leaf floating in it can potentially poison your pawed pal.
From the stems to the blooms, every part of these bushes is toxic to your dog, with only a small amount needed to cause serious issues. While the symptoms vary depending on the size of the dog and the amount eaten, ingestion can be fatal.
While the stems are safe to be eaten by your dog, rhubarb leaves can cause serious excessive salivation, lethargy, and even kidney failure.
Sweet pea plants
It may be difficult to detect whether or not your dog is suffering the consequences of eating sweet peas, as the poisoning may take a few days to show up. The severity of the symptoms depends on the amount eaten and range from general weakness to vomiting.
If your dog decides to dig up and devour the tulip bulbs you have planted in the garden, they may suffer from a range of symptoms. These include irritation in the mouth and more severe issues such as vomiting and difficulty breathing.
When chewed or chomped on, the popular houseplant can cause your dog’s mouth to swell and become seriously agitated.
With two toxic properties present, both the seeds and pods of wisteria can cause several worrying symptoms for dogs. As well as vomiting and dehydration, the plants can cause blood clotting and strokes.
The entirety of these evergreen trees can be toxic to your dog, but it is the cones they find particularly tasty and so pose the biggest threat. If too many of these cones are consumed, they can be lethal.
Protecting your dog from plants
Has your pup been playing around one of the fatal flowers on our list of poisonous plants for dogs? If you are ever concerned that your dog, or a dog in your care has been exposed to these plants, it’s important to seek immediate medical attention.
Did you know that our members can also clear up any concerns they have about an animal while on a sit by calling our dedicated Vet Advice Line for free? From queries around keeping a pet fit, happy, and healthy to more serious medical questions, the veterinary experts are here to help, day or night.