Search

How to become a house sitter : Top 5 Tips

By Lisa Logan | News

House sitting in dream locations
If you have never house sat before, but believe you have the perfect life skills and experience to make a brilliant house sitter, you can find your first, dream house sitting assignment with TrustedHousesitters.com. Everyone has to start somewhere. If you are level headed, flexible, love animals and are open to new experiences, homeowners all over the world are looking for sitters just like you.

You can view fantastic house sitting assignments in Australia, UK, Europe, USA, Central America and many other fabulous locations around the world at TrustedHousesitters.com. Then follow our Top 5 tips on how to become a house sitter and you could soon be starting your house sitting adventure.

house sitting job UK

You could soon be house sitting in the UK

Top 5 Tips to help you get your first house sitting assignment

Make a great profile Your profile is like your Resume so take some time to make it brilliant with lots of information, photos and references (character and employment). Upload a video to really give yourself the edge!
Highlight animal care experience Most homeowners are looking for someone to care for their beloved pets so be sure to mention if you have pets of your own or any other pet care experience.
Include other relevant experience If youave owned or cared for your own home, have gardening or maintenance experience include this too. Put yourself in a homeowners shoes and think about what would be useful.
Be flexible The more flexible you are with where you want to house sit and the dates you are available the more opportunities will be available to you.
Sign Up! It sounds obvious but if you havenat created your profile yet then you arenat going to secure that dream house sitting assignment. Join and create your profile today so you can find out about new assignments first, contact homeowners and let them know why youare the perfect house sitter for them.

House sitting job in Langkawi

Would you like to house sit in dream locations?

House sitting job in Thailand

Tony and Meg enjoyed their first house sitting assignment in Thailand

Our first assignment was a luxury villa in Thailand -We talked for months before our big trip started and talked for months during our travels about house sitting and did nothing. For some reason, we always felt like house sitting was for other people. Something, that while ridiculously awesome, was unattainable. And then we signed up for Trustedhousesitters.com, and within 2 weeks had secured an incredible house sitting job in Thailand on our first request.

House sitting job in France

The French countryside was a wonderful backdrop for Navyo's first house sitting assignment

My first house sit was a farm in rural France - For the past year, I have been talking about doing long term housesitting in France and Italy - and now look! This place is beautiful. It;s a French farmhouse in the heart of the Gers of Gascogne. I feel I have been dropped in paradise with all of my needs met. Navyo
House sitting in Wales

Marianne loved her house sit in Wales. A perfect first house sitting experience.

I realised my dream to live abroad with my first house sit - I have wanted to live abroad since I was fifteen, when I came to the UK on a school trip and fell in love with the country, a feeling which never went away. Fast forward to the present day, and a few months ago I saw an article about TrustedHousesitters.com and knew that house sitting could finally give me the means to go to and explore the country for a longer period of time. Marianne, Ohio, USA

16 Responses to "How to become a house sitter : Top 5 Tips"

1. kath smee says:
    Aug. 30, 2013, 11:20 a.m.

I have a furry animal allergy. Are there any assignments that I could do that do not involve furry animals. Just house sitting or other types of pets ? Thanks Kath

Sept. 2, 2013, 9:15 a.m.

Hi Kath, Thanks for your question. The majority of assignments do involve caring for animals but we do also have a significant number that do not - or that have fish, birds, reptiles or similar that need caring for. If you go to our house sitting assignments page - http://www.trustedhousesitters.com/house-and-pet-sitting-assignments/ - you can use the "Advanced Search" option to see the sort of opportunities that do not involve pets. Remember that new assignments are being added to the site every day and registered members find out about these 24 hours before they show on the main site. I hope we can see your profile on our site soon. Best wishes, Lisa

2. jaki says:
    Sept. 4, 2013, 3:02 p.m.

Dear sir or madem i have thought about doing this for some time..but i think what stood me is that in a women on my own..i do not own a property as i live my daughter and son-in-law..how do u get to these pleaces..do we have to pay to get to these destinations..this is a good opportunity for me to see the world thankyou. miss jaki best

Sept. 5, 2013, 9:40 a.m.

Hi Jaki, Thank you for your questions. We have lots of female house sitters who live the house sitting lifestyle as single women travellers. Many tell us that it's a great way to travel on your own as by house sitting your are instantly part of the local community rather than isolated in a resort or hotel. You do not need to own your own property as house sitting is much more flexible that house swapping. It is normal for the house sitter to pay transportation costs. You can find out more about the sort of house sitting opportunities available at www.TrustedHousesitters.com I have sent you an email with more information about how to become a house sitter. I hope we can welcome you as a member of TrustedHousesitters.com soon. Lisa

3. Nat and Jodie says:
    Sept. 4, 2013, 8:44 p.m.

Such great stories in this post Lisa. It is so true that when something is this good we almost ignore it... feeling it cannot be for us. I really relate to what Tony and Meg were saying... Jodie and I have been abit the same. We have had 6 months so far of back to back house sits and now are about to go to Canada, Costa Rica and then onto the Sacred Valley in Peru for Xmas/new year... it's like is this really happening?? I have been wanting to travel the world since I was young. Many years ago I bought National Geographic maps of each continent and put them up on my wall. For years I studied them, and when I got together with Jodie, we studied them together. Funny, it was only this morning that I was thinking about them and what happened... the moment we threw them out was the exact time we started our lifestyle of house sitting full time. I remember the conversation with Jodie as we were leaving Dubai to start our first house sit in London, at that stage having no idea that house sitting would become our life. She asked 'will we take the maps?' and I looked at her almost in surprise and said... 'babe, it is time for us to go and live these maps!' Needless to say we threw them out and replaced them with the real thing! Best thing we have ever done!

4. Klaus says:
    Sept. 5, 2013, 8:12 p.m.

Hi there, is there an age limit to become a house sitter? I am 63 years old, been through family, kids, profession, traveling, separation - and want to experience more . . . Best wishes from Klaus

Sept. 6, 2013, 8:36 a.m.

Hi Klaus, Thanks for getting in touch. There is no upper age limit to being a house sitter. In fact at 63 you are at the prime of your house sitting years! The more mature a house sitter, the more life experience they can bring to an assignment, which really puts a homeowners mind at rest. To find out more about becoming a house sitter take at look at our home page - www.TrustedHousesitters.com - to get all the information you need. I hope we can welcome you as a member of TrustedHousesitters.com soon. All the best, Lisa

5. kate says:
    Sept. 8, 2013, 11:29 p.m.

Hi there, I'm 19 years old (20 in two days) am i too young? I have experience house/pet sitting through a wee dog walking/sitting business i set up, but i would like too travel and thought this would be a great opportunity to see more of the world. How much are you likely to get paid for it? How long roughly does it take to get a job? Sorry for inundating you with all these questions!

1. Lisa says:
      Sept. 16, 2013, 9:05 a.m.

Hi Kate, Thank you for your questions. Our members vary in age from 18 to 80. Many of our members could be described as "mature" but what is most important to a home and pet owner is that they trust their house sitter and are confident that their home and pets will be in safe hands. It sounds as though you are able to demonstrate that you have the right experience as you have had a dog walking/sitting business before. When you complete your profile you will be able to ask your previous clients for references which will help show homeowners they can rely on you. The majority of house sitters do not charge for their services as they offer their help in exchange for a place to stay. Unfortunately, we can't advise you on how long it would take to find an assignment as all arrangements are made between homeowner and sitter. The best approach is to maximise your opportunities by creating a compelling profile and being flexible with dates and locations. I hope we can see your profile on TrustedHousesitters.com soon and that you find some great assignments. Happy house sitting! Lisa

6. Michelle says:
    Sept. 13, 2013, 10:05 a.m.

Hi, I would really love to do this and explore the world. I'm quite young at 21 and don't have any commitments which is why I find this perfect for me. I've noticed most members are middle aged. Would home owners be less willing because I'm younger? Thanks :)

1. Lisa says:
      Sept. 16, 2013, 9:15 a.m.

Hi Michelle, Our members range in age from 18 to 80+. A homeowner is looking for someone they can trust and rely on so it's not simply a matter of the older the better. When you create your profile make sure you include enough information to demonstrate why you would make a great pet and house sitter. Include details of any animal care experience you have. You may find the blog "Tips from a Trusted House Sitter on how to get your first house sitting assignment" useful. Jemma and James are a young couple who house sat locally so that they could get their first TrustedHouseSitters.com reference. They have since gone on to house sit all over Europe. I hope you find a wonderful house sitting assignment soon. All the best, Lisa

7. william dreghorn says:
    Sept. 17, 2013, 3:58 a.m.

i have been house sitting for friends and strangers for the last two years .and i would like to do this on a more regular basis.i have just been doing that the owner went to America for three months.When he came back his dogs and house were as he wanted it.And was happy with my service.On of his Labrados was and old lady and i took it upon myself to let her enjoy her last days as she was very stiff and shared my panamor with her obviously smaller dosis hopped around like a little rabbit was happy.I had to see to the gardner .Check on office staff working in a office away from the house and assist if any problems arose

1. Rachel says:
      Sept. 24, 2013, 3:17 p.m.

Hi William - sounds like you may make the ideal house sitter. The biggest requirement is often a love of pets along with being responsible and trustworthy. Thanks, Rachel

8. Catharine Mott says:
    Sept. 21, 2013, 2:05 p.m.

I share my life with another woman. We raised our children together and now our husbands have both passed away and we are sharing a house. Would we be eligible to house sit or would people not want two women? I am 78 and Carol is 72.

1. Rachel says:
      Sept. 24, 2013, 3:14 p.m.

Hi Catharine - we have a number of friends who use the website to find house sits together, as they prefer to enjoy their travels and share their retirement together rather than go it solo. Simply add both of you in to the one profile and talk about yourselves within it. We hope to see you soon on the website! Good luck, Rachel

9. Cathie says:
    Sept. 30, 2013, 8:24 p.m.

I am a 60 year old French bulldog owner . I wanted to ask if there are opportunities to take her with me?

Oct. 4, 2013, 11:09 a.m.

Hi Cathie, Most house sitting assignments include pets so it is up to the homeowner if it would be appropriate for you to bring your own dog. Every assignment is different and it is always worth asking. I would recommend you mention your dog when you write your profile and also make sure it's clear you want to travel with your dog when you send a message to a homeowner. Best wishes, Lisa

10. Antoinette says:
    Oct. 2, 2013, 9:18 p.m.

Hello, Do you get paid to house sit? And how long do you usually house sit for? Is it possible to only request to do it in a certain part of London? Thank you Antoinette

Oct. 4, 2013, 11:07 a.m.

Hi Antoinette, Thank you for your questions. It is entirely up to you when and where you look for assignments. We have lots of sitters who only house sit in London as they are in employment in the city. The majority of house sitters do not charge for their services but are happy with the savings they make on rent. One of our sitters estimates she has saved PS20,000 by house sitting in London so far! I hope we can see your profile on the website soon. Lisa

11. jackie good says:
    Oct. 5, 2013, 9:59 p.m.

Well, after reading many comments and concerns I'm convinced that house/pet sitting would be perfect for my husband and me. We both have a love for travel, although finances i.e. lack there of, has kept us from doing so, to the extent we dream of anyway... We've been care taking an estate on the north shore of beautiful Lake Tahoe Ca. for 11 yrs. now, have a home based business, but are ready to broaden our horizons. Our son, on his own. We've had various dogs, from puppy stage until it's been their time to go. It's only me and my husband at this time. We're both feeling it's our time for exploration! Jackie

Oct. 7, 2013, 9:08 a.m.

Hi Jackie, It's great to hear that you and your husband are thinking about starting your own house sitting adventure. We look forward to seeing your profile on TrustedHousesitters.com Happy House Sitting! Lisa

12. Julia Walsh says:
    Oct. 9, 2013, 10:44 a.m.

A friend and I are planning to travel to France and England for 2 months in May,June 2014. We would be hoping to spread around both countries maybe. Taking in Ireland as well, spending no more than a week in each location. We are both houseowners in Australia and my friend has had housesitting assignments in Australia and I often mind friends dogs while they holiday. I have a lovely standard poodle who is blind and has lots of health problems and I am very confident with animals and really love them. Am I being realistic in these expectations? I would appreciate your feedback.

1. Lisa says:
      Oct. 10, 2013, 10:32 a.m.

Hi Julia, What an exciting trip you're planning! We have a great many house sitting assignments listed in the UK and France. Homeowners are starting to look for house sitters well into 2014 now so it's a great time to start arranging your travel plans. You sound like you have lots of relevant experience to offer which is great! As you can see there is lots of advice on the blog and more in our FAQ section about creating your listing and how you can become a Trusted House Sitter. I would recommend you get started as soon as possible (you can create a listing very quickly and then add to it whenever you like) and look out for our daily alerts once you've joined. You'll see that assignments in France and the UK are being added every day so be ready to contact the homeowners as soon as you can after the alert arrives. I hope you find some great assignments. Happy house sitting! Lisa

13. Tina David says:
    Oct. 18, 2013, 1:50 a.m.

Hi, I've always been an animal lover I use to own a domestic mini farm along with a couple of monkey's and a parrot, in the Caribbean. As pets lives with their owner's of course the house sitting will come as a package..! Looking forward to being both your pet and or house companion. Can do inner London, preferably north and west. Thanx

1. Lisa says:
      Oct. 22, 2013, 10:36 a.m.

Hi Tina, It sounds like you have lots of great experience to offer a home and pet owner! To create your profile go to www.TrustedHousesitters.com. Once you have joined you will receive a daily alert with details of all new house sitting assignments around the world so you can apply for those that interest you. I hope you find some wonderful house sitting assignments. All the best, Lisa

14. Beth Rogers says:
    Oct. 21, 2013, 5:53 a.m.

Hello, we are planning a trip to south east Asia in May, June and July 2014 and wondered if you ever get assignments to Thailand or Bali??? We are a well travelled family of 3 - very respectful and quiet - we love animals and have loads of experience caring for our own pets as well as those of our friends and family... We also are very actively involved as volunteers at the local animal shelter!

1. Lisa says:
      Oct. 22, 2013, 10:32 a.m.

Hi Beth, Thanks for getting in touch. We currently have homeowners looking for house sitters in Thailand We have also featured house sitting jobs in Malaysia, Bali, Hong Kong, Singapore and throughout South East Asia over the past year and lots of our house sitters have really enjoyed assignments in this region. To be best placed to a secure a house sitting assignment in SE Asia for 2014 you need to become a member of TrustedHousesitters.com and create a profile. Registered members find out about new assignments 24 hours before they are visible to anyone else so that they can contact homeowners as soon as possible. It sounds as though you have lots of great experience and a real love of animals so I am sure you will make ideal house sitters. I hope we can see your profile on the site soon and that you find some wonderful house sitting assignments. All the best, Lisa

15. Bec says:
    Oct. 22, 2013, 7:46 a.m.

I am dreaming/planning an extended visut to italy and house sitting could be the perfect way to make it all possible. BUT, we are a family of 5 - three children, ages 6, 8 and 10. Do home owners consider families as sitters or is that unrealistic?

1. Lisa says:
      Oct. 22, 2013, 10:19 a.m.

Hi Bec, We have lots of families registered with us who are already house sitting all over the world so it's definitely not an unrealistic option. Many homeowners are happy for families to come and stay and some specify in their listing that they would prefer a family. This is particularly the case in larger properties or ones with lots of pets who'd enjoy some enthusiastic children to play with! When you complete your profile include lots of info about why you and your children would make great house sitters including photos, references and plenty of detail about animals you have experience of. You could also get the kids involved and ask them to make a introductory video for homeowners to see. I look forward to seeing your listing on the site soon and hope you find some wonderful house sitting assignments. Good luck! All the best, Lisa.

16. Brenda Hickey says:
    Jan. 10, 2015, 3:02 p.m.

Hi There, I am very interested in becoming a house sitter. I am retired and I am very fit and healthy. I now have lots of time on my hands and I feel house sitting would be a great way to spend my time. I would be lovely if I could be considered for this position. I will eagerly await your reply. Thank you. Brenda Hickey.

1. admin says:
      Jan. 14, 2015, 1:42 p.m.

Hi Brenda, Thank you for your comment, I have asked our customer service team to contact you with regards to becoming a member! We look forward to seeing your profile online soon! Kind regards, Nikki

listings__registration-popup__header-smaller Get our free insider house sitting e-guide highlights - and free access to search house sits

As Featured In...